Welcome!

I reunite identified family photos that I find in antique shops and second hand stores with genealogists and family historians. If you see one of your ancestors here and would like to obtain the original, feel free to contact me at familyphotoreunion [ at ] yahoo [ dot ] com. I also accept donations of pre-1927 images to be reunited. I hope you enjoy your visit!
~The Archivist


Monday, December 5, 2011

The Beautiful Era: Marie E. Umphrey, Udora, Ontario, 1908


It's a shame this photo suffered a wee bit of damage on the image itself sometime over the years.  Isn't the detail on the back of the dress amazing?  This is a portrait of Marie E. Umphrey of Udora, Ontario, Canada, taken in 1908 by a photographer named Phillips.  You can see the photo is inscribed, "To Edna --M.E. Umphrey, Udora, Ontario, Canada" on the front.  It is also inscribed on the back, "To Edna, From Marie, November 15, 1908."

The village of Udora straddled two townships: Georgina & Scott.  Georgina was located in York County and Scott Township was in Ontario County.   I admit I haven't had much luck locating her in the census.  I did find a James Newton Umphrey who purchased a general store in Udora in 1907 and worked as the postmaster there for many years.  I found him handily in the census, but as far as I can see, he did not have any children named Marie.   Tracing a photograph of a woman has it's difficulties sometimes, if it isn't clear whether her surname is a married name or a maiden name.  In this case we can't really say which is more likely.

There are two Umphreys listed in the Scott Township Directory for 1887:
1) J.W. Umphrey, Udora
2) Michael Umphrey, Udora

While Marie Umphrey isn't listed as a child of either man in the censuses, perhaps she married one of their sons.

UPDATE: FEB 1, 2021  Marie Umphrey's photograph has been reunited with a family member in Winnipeg, Manitoba. She was identified as the wife of James Newton Umphrey.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if Marie isnt "Mable Umphrey" (transcribed as Mavle) born 1880 wife of Newton in the 1911 census
    that would make her 28 when the photo taken.

    ReplyDelete