Welcome!

I reunite identified family photos that I find in antique shops and second hand stores with genealogists and family historians. If you see one of your ancestors here and would like to obtain the original, feel free to contact me at familyphotoreunion [ at ] yahoo [ dot ] com. I also accept donations of pre-1927 images to be reunited. I hope you enjoy your visit!
~The Archivist


Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Girls in White Dresses: A Postcard to Mrs. Stevens, Great Missenden, Buckinghamshire, England, 1912


Whatever are these girls doing in this picture?  They seem to be holding a garland of some sort.

Here's what we know:



The postcard photograph was mailed to Mrs. W. Stevens, Church Street, Great Missenden, Buckinghamshire, England on March 27, 1912.   The message is oddly lacking in punctuation.  Dear A please to say I am much better sorry to hear will has another cold how did you get on at the tea george came home last ___ as he is on ____ time but did not stay long love to you both from us all mum xxxxxxxxx

top corner:  don't you think they are good.

In the 1911 Census Summary Books on Ancestry I found a "Mrs. Stevens" living on Church Street, great Missenden.  The index only shows that 1 male, and 2 females lived at that location. 

Guesses, anyone?

2 comments:

  1. I thought they may be holding the flower decorated rope for a May Pole Dance but the date doesnt fit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I was wondering if it had connections with May celebrations as well. Maybe something for Easter?

    ReplyDelete