Welcome!

I reunite identified family photos that I find in antique shops and second hand stores with genealogists and family historians. If you see one of your ancestors here and would like to obtain the original, feel free to contact me at familyphotoreunion [ at ] yahoo [ dot ] com. I also accept donations of pre-1927 images to be reunited. I hope you enjoy your visit!
~The Archivist


Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Gravestone of Jacob & Casandra Gibbons, Lucas Co., OH, 1910s


This postcard photograph of the gravestone of Jacob B. Gibbons and his wife, Casandra, was sent to me by a reader from Minnesota, who picked up the postcard at an antique store. (Thanks so much, Alma!) At the time the photo was taken, Casandra had not yet passed away.  Unfortunately, there aren't any other notations on the card, so I didn't know where stone was located.

My first stop was to "Find-A-Grave," and although I did not find a photograph of this gravestone, I did find an entry for the couple, and their burial location.  Along with the information, someone had also provided a scan of Jacob's death record.

Here's what we now know:

The couple, as well as their two sons, were buried in Mt. Pleasant Cemetery, Neapolis, Lucas County, Ohio.

Jacob B. Gibbons was born in Pennsylvania, on the 2nd of June 1829.  His parents were Joseph and Sarah (Barger) Gibbons.  His profession is listed as "mason."  He married Cssandra Barger, daughter of Jacob Barger and Harriet Tyson.  Jacob died on December 24, 1910.  Casandra was born on the 12 July 1838 in York County, Pennsylvania.  She died March 20, 1915.

According to the information on Find-A-Grave, the couple had two children:  Murrey C. Gibbons (1872-1936) and Allen J. Gibbons (1878-1965).

We know that the postcard photograph was probably taken sometime between 1911 and 1915 because Casandra's death date is not provided on the stone. 



No comments:

Post a Comment