Welcome!

I reunite identified family photos that I find in antique shops and second hand stores with genealogists and family historians. If you see one of your ancestors here and would like to obtain the original, feel free to contact me at familyphotoreunion [ at ] yahoo [ dot ] com. I also accept donations of pre-1927 images to be reunited. I hope you enjoy your visit!
~The Archivist


Wednesday, April 11, 2012

What a Shame Wednesday: Chas. E. Lanyon and Jack McCartney, Circa 1907-1911




This postcard photograph signed "Chas. E. Lanyon" and "Jack McCartney" is a puzzler.  There isn't a location and the reverse of the postcard hasn't been written on.  The postcard itself dates after 1907 because of the dividing line between the address and message.  The approximate date can be narrowed down further by looking at the stampbox.


This particular stampbox appeared on Velox postcards produced between 1907 and 1911.

My census search for "Charles E. Lanyon" started out promising.  Only one or two hits in the time frame we're looking at.  However, once I dropped the "E" and started looking at all Charles Lanyons, the research future didn't look quite so rosy.  There are dozens of Charles Lanyons.

I really didn't have to run "Jack McCartney" through the same test to know the result, but I did anyway. There are many, many more people with that name in the censuses.

This real postcard photograph was found in an antique store in Coombs, B.C., Canada.  I don't know if this is much of a clue since I've found photographs from all over the world in antique stores around here.   Most of the photographs I find in BC shops have not originated in Canada.  There are many folks living here who are originally from the UK.  Vancouver Island is a favourite spot for retirees from across Canada, and many Canadians have connections to the US.

This one is a shame, because we don't even have a country, let alone a city.  I was intrigued by Charles' lapel badge.  I had a look with my magnifying glass, and it appears to be a shield with stars in the centre.  Perhaps a police organization?  I am also curious about the relationship between these men.  Are they related?  I have a hunch their connection is occupational, but I really have nothing to base that on.



Your thoughts?


1 comment:

  1. Hmmm... intriguing. My first thought was "looks like a couple railroad detectives, today."

    The only Charles E(dmund) Lanyon I found was a Kiwanis member - but the pin doesn't look like this one.

    ReplyDelete