Welcome!

I reunite identified family photos that I find in antique shops and second hand stores with genealogists and family historians. If you see one of your ancestors here and would like to obtain the original, feel free to contact me at familyphotoreunion [ at ] yahoo [ dot ] com. I also accept donations of pre-1927 images to be reunited. I hope you enjoy your visit!
~The Archivist


Friday, July 13, 2012

Master Barton Mosher Shepard, Butte, Montana, Circa 1891



I told you about this picture a few blog post back when I focused on the image of Nellie May Shepard. This little guy is Nellie's younger brother, Barton M. Shepard.

While he didn't appear on the censuses I looked at on Nellie's post, he does show up in the 1892 Washington State and Territorial Census, in Seattle at the age of 5 years old.  This image was photographed at the A. J. Dusseau Studio on the NE Corner of Main & Broadway, Butte, Montana.  The 1892 censuses tells us that Barton's father, D. Barton Shepard was a real estate man.

My best guess on a date for this image would be 1891-1892.  Alrick (A.J.) Dusseau operated out of Butte from the late 1870s to around the time of his death in 1908.   After 1902, he worked in partnership with George Thompson, but prior to that his imprints read, "A. J. Dusseau."  In the 1890 - 91 Butte City Directory, Dusseau is living on Main & Broadway, where this studio was located.  The little boy looks to be about four years old to me. 

Like Nellie, Barton M. Shepard ended up living in Seattle, Washington.  According to the SSDI, Barton died in September of 1970 in King County, Washington.

1 comment: