Welcome!

I reunite identified family photos that I find in antique shops and second hand stores with genealogists and family historians. If you see one of your ancestors here and would like to obtain the original, feel free to contact me at familyphotoreunion [ at ] yahoo [ dot ] com. I also accept donations of pre-1927 images to be reunited. I hope you enjoy your visit!
~The Archivist


Friday, February 10, 2012

A Cabinet Card Portrait: Mary E. Harrison, Portsmouth, NH circa 1890s



Earlier this week, I posted information about a number of old letters I found, written to Miss Mary E. Harrison of Portsmouth, New Hampshire.  Today, you get a glimpse of Mary.  I was lucky enough to find this photograph alongside the letters.   The reverse of the cabinet card is clearly labelled, "Mary E. Harrison, Portsmouth N.H."  I just love the lace and bead work on Mary's collar.

The portrait was taken by at the L.V. Newell & Co. Studio on Congress Street, Portsmouth.  Layfayette V. Newell (1833-1914) was a prominent photographer in the Portsmouth area.  J. Dennis Robinson of SeaCoastNH wrote an interesting article The Day History Died about the destruction of Newell's Civil War soldier photographs. 

In 1888, Newell's studio was located at No. 1 High Street.  By 1890, he had moved to the 31 Congress location.   The photo dates to the mid-1890s.

No comments:

Post a Comment