Welcome!

I reunite identified family photos that I find in antique shops and second hand stores with genealogists and family historians. If you see one of your ancestors here and would like to obtain the original, feel free to contact me. Donations of pre-1920 photographs are also most welcome. I hope you enjoy your visit!
~The Archivist


Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Beautiful Era: Berthine Thompson, circa 1905


It's fitting that the Edwardian period is also known as "La Belle Epoque (The Beautiful Era)."  The winsome young woman above is the epitome of Edwardian beauty in her "Gibson-Girl"-style hairdo and smocked, lace-trimmed dress.  Her silhouette is typical of the Edwardian period with its "S-shape," created by the new corsets of the time.

Her name is Berthine Thompson.   The photograph was taken at the McCabe studios on W. Madison Street in Chicago.  I found this photo in a collection of photos with a Manitowoc, Wisconsin connection.  I looked online at the various US censuses and did find a few Berthine Thompsons in the 1880, 1900 and 1910 censuses.  There was one Berthine (Bertha) Thompson who was born in Mantiowoc County in 1879.  Is it her, I wonder?

I am dating this photo around 1905 or so, but I am not a fashion expert, so if you have experience in that area, I'd love to hear from you.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment