Welcome!

I reunite identified family photos that I find in antique shops and second hand stores with genealogists and family historians. If you see one of your ancestors here and would like to obtain the original, feel free to contact me at familyphotoreunion [ at ] yahoo [ dot ] com. I also accept donations of pre-1927 images to be reunited. I hope you enjoy your visit!
~The Archivist


Monday, December 19, 2011

The Weatherald - Marwood Connection: Ontario and Yorkshire, 1860s



Last week I posted a photo of Maud Weatherald (1866-1882) from Goderich, Huron County, Ontario.  I found two other identified cdvs in the same careless pile of photographs at the antique store.  This one was marked "Mr. Marwood.  Thos. Weatherald's Uncle."  The photo was taken by D. Campbell in Goderich, Ontario. 

Having looked into the life of Maud Weatherald I knew that her father's name was Thomas Weatherald born 1834 in England.  I found one Thomas Weatherald b. 1834, Yorkshire in the England census for 1841, living with his parents Thomas and Ann Weatherald.   I found their marriage record from 21 Jul 1831 which lists Ann's maiden name as Marwood.

I found Ann Marwood on Familysearch.org in the England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975, born 12 December 1797 in Whitby, Yorkshire, daughter of Matthew and Jane Marwood.  I then went in search of Ann's siblings.  She had two full brothers:  Isaac Marwood, b. 1796 and John Marwood, b.1793.  I believe she also had two half brothers since Matthew Marwood seems to have married a second time in 1803 to Ann Gray.  They had two sons together: Matthew Marwood, b. 1804 and George, b. 1806.

As I mentioned earlier I found two additional cdvs at the shop.  The second is a photo marked "John Marwood," taken in Liverpool at the Vandyke and Brown Studio.


Both cdvs are likely from the 1860s.  I am guessing that the first photograph is of Isaac Marwood, b. 1796, but there's a chance it could be Matthew or George Marwood as well.  The second image is probably John Marwood, b. 1793.

UPDATE September 17, 2014:  All of the Weatherald/West/Marwood family photos have been reunited with a direct descendant in Saskatchewan.


4 comments:

  1. It is wonderful of you to take such an interest in these fabulous photographs and for saving them. My husband descends from Ann's half brother Matthew, son of Matthew MARWOOD & Ann GRAY (nee SPINK). I had lost trace of Ann MARWOOD and cannot thank you enough for piecing together the information for her. I would be delighted to care for these precious photographs if no one closer to Ann's line would like them.

    Many Thanks & Kind Regards

    Roz Voullaire
    roz@voullaire.com.au
    Perth, Western Australia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you found this post, Roz. Do you have any images of Matthew Marwood, the younger? I'm curious if you can see a family resemblance. Did your Matthew (half-brother to Ann) come to Canada, head to Australia or stay in England? I'll definitely be in touch if I don't hear from anyone in Ann's direct line. It's great to know they'll be going back to a member of the Marwood family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matthew Marwood B:1833 was a farmer at Sneaton Whitby - had a daughter Elizabeth (Lizzie) Married John Duck - went tot Canada and then back to Whitby then went to New Zealand where they settled and farmed in the Waikato

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a photo of Matthew and Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete