Welcome!

I reunite identified family photos that I find in antique shops and second hand stores with genealogists and family historians. If you see one of your ancestors here and would like to obtain the original, feel free to contact me at familyphotoreunion [ at ] yahoo [ dot ] com. I also accept donations of pre-1927 images to be reunited. I hope you enjoy your visit!
~The Archivist


Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Marriage of George Ealey and Malissa Rader, Clay County, Indiana, 1882




Rarely do I stumble upon 130-year-old marriage licenses in second hand shops, but this past weekend I was lucky enough to do just that. The Marriage License I found belonged to George Ealey and Malissa E. Rader from Clay County, Indiana, dated October 7, 1882. I also found a number of photographs, a marriage certificate and elementary school diplomas all relating to various lines of their descendants.

On Indiana Marriages, 1811-1959 at familysearch.org I learned that the couple married the day after the license was issued, October 8, 1882.  George was the son of William and Wealthy Hicks Ealey, and Malissa's parents were Philip Rader and Elizabeth Marburger Rader.  (Note:  The index shows the bride's surname as "Ruder," but I believe this to be a transcription error.)

Malissa died less than two years later, on January 12, 1884.  She is buried in Center Point Cemetery, Center Point, Indiana, according to Find-a-Grave.  From what I can tell there was at least one child by this marriage:  Ora Ealey, born 1879.  

While looking in the Indiana Marriages database, I also discovered that George Ealey married a second time in 1886 to Phoebe Loveall (Lawall?), and again in 1919 to Rilda Gray Mace.  The Ealeys lived in Jackson, Clay County, Indiana.

Update November 2012: This item has been reunited with a descendant in Missouri

No comments:

Post a Comment