Welcome!

I reunite identified family photos that I find in antique shops and second hand stores with genealogists and family historians. If you see one of your ancestors here and would like to obtain the original, feel free to contact me at familyphotoreunion [ at ] yahoo [ dot ] com. I also accept donations of pre-1927 images to be reunited. I hope you enjoy your visit!
~The Archivist


Monday, May 5, 2014

A Big Fat Question Mark: Another Challenge from the Spooner-Hardy Album


"To Nelly with Mr. Leaman Harrison's [W. Seaman Thomson's] best love," 1868-69

Here I am with another handwriting mystery for you.  This carte de visite was taken at Asplet & Green on Jersey and dates from the same period as the previous photograph in my last post, The Hardy-Spooner Album: To Betsy Baker with Compliments, 1868-69


I think it's addressed, "To Nelly with Mr. Leaman Harrison's best love," [W. Seaman Thomson] but I have my doubts about the surname.  And possibly the first name.  I am fairly confident about "Nelly."  What do you see there?


So now we have two carte de visites from Asplet & Green, photographed around the same time, address to two different women (presumably), one named Betsy Baker and the other, Nelly.  One is signed from Mrs.  M---- and the other from this fellow.  What, if anything, is the connection?


3 comments:

  1. It looks like W Seaman Thomson to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this might be William Seaman Thomson born c. 1841.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do believe you are right, Iggy! Thanks for the second pair of eyes on this. I've been reading the first scribble as "Mr." and now I can clearly see it is a "W." I'm heading off to a Gen. meeting right now, but I will have to learn more about Mr. William Seaman Thomson when I get back.

    ReplyDelete