Welcome!

I reunite identified family photos that I find in antique shops and second hand stores with genealogists and family historians. If you see one of your ancestors here and would like to obtain the original, feel free to contact me. Donations of pre-1920 photographs are also most welcome. I hope you enjoy your visit!
~The Archivist


Thursday, April 5, 2012

From Dora Kelland to Annie Jones, Exeter, Ontario, Circa 1901



According to the inscription on the back, Dora Kelland gave this photograph of herself to Annie Jones.  Dora was probably Dora Kelland, b. 20 December 1884, who appears in the 1901 Canada Census in Exeter, Ontario, daughter of John and Mary Kelland.  At the time she had four siblings:  Ada, 10; Franklin, 7; Wilber, 5 and Elva, 2.

I placed this photograph around the time of the 1901 Census.  It could have been taken a bit earlier or later. Perhaps someone well-acquainted with Late Victorian/Early Edwardian fashions could weigh in.  The shirred sleeves and upper bodice could perhaps be a clue.  The hair seems early Edwardian and Gibson-girl like. 

I investigated the photographer, "Senior," located on Main Street, Exeter and discovered that members of the Senior family were in the photography business from 1867 to the 1940's, so I wasn't able to narrow down the dates that way. 

I did find a few trees on Ancestry that had Dora in them.  She seems to have married Harry Waghorn, and had ten children.  Dora died in 1979 and is buried in Kirkton Union Cemetery in Kirkton, Ontario.


No comments:

Post a Comment