Welcome!

I reunite identified family photos that I find in antique shops and second hand stores with genealogists and family historians. If you see one of your ancestors here and would like to obtain the original, feel free to contact me at familyphotoreunion [ at ] yahoo [ dot ] com. I also accept donations of pre-1927 images to be reunited. I hope you enjoy your visit!
~The Archivist


Monday, June 30, 2014

The Four Jacks, Milk Haulers to the Molesworth Cheese Factory, Molesworth, Ontario, ca. 1890s

 


In a previous post, I mentioned an album I found in Parksville, BC that contains photographs of the Pollock family.  One of the Pollock images is a cabinet card of four men labelled "4 Jack's [sic] Hauled Milk to Molesworth Cheese Factory."  Jack Pollock is indicated with an X, as the fellow seated left.

Molesworth is a small rural community located in Huron County, Ontario.  The actual image was taken at the D. Barber studio in Listowel, Ontario which operated from roughly 1877 to 1897. 

I found a Listowel marriage record from Mar 4, 1891 for 25-year-old John W. Pollock (son of Andrew and Charlotte Pollock) and Eliza Ann Longman.1  Eliza was the daughter of Samuel and Mary Longman.  This does seem to fit with the contents of the album, which includes images labelled "Andrew Pollock" and "Bert Longman." Is our Jack the John W. Pollock mentioned in the marriage record from Listowel?  Other surnames in the album include Petherick, Schlimme, & Mann.

I do wonder who the other three Jacks are.  If you can shed light on their identities, I hope you will post a comment below.  I tried to learn a little more about the Molesworth Cheese Factory online, but didn't have much luck.



1 "Ontario Marriages, 1869-1927," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FMVP-CQ1 : accessed 29 Jun 2014), John W Pollock and Eliza Ann Longman, 04 Mar 1891; citing registration 009536, Listowel, Perth, Ontario, Canada, Archives of Ontario, Toronto; FHL microfilm 1870469.

2 comments:

  1. The Molesworth Cheese (and Butter) Factory opened in 1892. This was the "new" factory.

    There is a photo on Ancestry.com of the building(s) complete with milk haulers

    http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/27473853/person/5015684886/photox/a9d2cec6-7a07-4353-b60d-7dc325b233a3?src=search

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great, Iggy! Thanks so much for that. I've been without Ancestry for a while so don't have access to the image but will have a look next time I'm at the FHC for research. So that would date the image sometime between 1892 and 1897. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete